The Salmson 2-A2 featured a large radiator, powerful radial engine, self sealing fuel tanks, aluminium engine cowlings, conventional wooden fuselage and wing construction with silk fabric covering. They first entered service with French Escadrille Sal.122 in October 1917 where it was enthusiastically received, replacing the unit’s aging twin engine Caudron G.6 aircraft. It was also widely used by the USAS (Air Service, United States Army) with their first machines going into action with the 1st and 12th Aero Squadrons during June 1918. A total of 705 Salmson 2-A2 were delivered to the USAS, more than any other two-seater used by the AEF (American Expeditionary Force) during the First World War. Following the armistice the Salmson 2-A2 was used during occupational duties in Germany before being phased out of French service by 1921. The Salmson 2-A2 saw limited service in the new Czechoslavak Air Force, both sides in the Russian Civil War, Poland, Belgium and limited use as a civilian passenger aircraft.